Modifications of Court Orders Our Legal Team is always prepared and ready to assist with your needs. schedule a Consultation
  • “He knew exactly how to handle my narcissistic now ex-husband. I have referred a friend to him & she too has been very happy with his expertise in handling her difficult case.” - Lana
  • “I would highly recommend him to anyone, and he will be my first choice if I ever need a lawyer again. Thank you Kevin. I wish you the very best of blessings.” - Joe P.
  • “The Law Office of J. Kevin Clark helped me through a difficult time. After many negotiation sessions with the other lawyer, we finally settled at mediation. I am thrilled with the results. Thank you!” - Dave R.
  • “Lisa Peterchuck was wonderful in advising me of what the next steps would be and how to handle the situation ahead.” - Kathrina B.
  • “The Law office of Kevin Clark is amazing and a breath of fresh air. The entire team is friendly, professional, and attentive to the matters; gathering the facts, and then providing effective representation to get you to a resolution.” - Andy W.

Fort Worth Modification Lawyers

Thoroughly Prepared Attorneys with 70+ Years of Combined Experience in Tarrant, Parker, Dallas, Denton, Johnson and Hood Counties in Texas.

Naturally, your child may grow and your lifestyle may change. As such, you have the right to petition for the modification of any court orders you hold to better address these changes. The Law Office of J. Kevin Clark P.C. has extensive experience guiding clients through the Texas family courts, and we have an intimate knowledge of the local county courts. We will put our decades of experience on your side as we evaluate the court order you wish to change and help you build a compelling petition for modification.

Call (817) 241-3328 or contact our firm online for a free consultation to learn more.

Uncontested and Contested Modification Suits

In the presence of circumstantial change, you are allowed to petition for the modification of an existing court order, such as a court order for divorce, custody, visitation, or child support. To petition for modification, you will need to fill out a formal modification petition and cite your reasons for adjusting the terms of the original order.

Note that modification petitions will either be uncontested or contested – uncontested suits for modification can be completed by mutual agreement or by default (the other parent does not answer the petition), and contested suits are when the other parent answers that they will not sign onto the modification request. Contested modifications will proceed to a court hearing after 45 days of notice, and an experienced lawyer can better guide you through the process.

Who Can File for Modification of a Court Order?

Either parent can file a modification case. However, those who are not the child’s parent can file a modification case if:

  • they are listed as a party in the current order;
  • they have had actual care, control, and possession of the child for at least 6 months ending not more than 90 days before the date they file the modification case with the court;
  • they have lived with the child and the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator for at least 6 months ending not more than 90 days before the date they file the modification case, and the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator has died;
  • they are the child’s grandparent, great-grandparent, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew and:
    • both parents have passed away;
    • both parents, the surviving parent, or managing conservator agree; or
    • the child’s present circumstances will significantly harm their physical health or emotional development.

Keep in mind that you must file your modification case in the same county the current order was issued.

Let the Law Office of J. Kevin Clark P.C. Explain Your Rights and Options

If you are interested in modifying a court order, consult an experienced modifications attorney at our firm for informed legal guidance. We can make sure you understand your rights to modification and what legal options you have at your disposal. For more specific information on modifying specific types of divorce orders, visit our page on Modifications of Custody and Visitation.

Court orders hold important legal weight and can protect you and your child against certain actions from the other parent in necessary situations. For instance, you could petition to add a geographic restriction in your court order to prevent the other parent from moving your child out of state. Whatever concern you have about your modification request, our law firm can help. We have handled uncontested and contested petitions alike, so we can help handle the legal side of your request for change.

Schedule a free initial consultation with the Law Office of J. Kevin Clark P.C. online or at (817) 241-3328 to get started on your petition.

Get the Results You Deserve with a Team You Can Trust

  • Convenient Location

    Serving clients in Ft. Worth, throughout Tarrant County, and greater Texas.

  • Strong Communication

    Close, interactive, communication ensures alignment with a clients' most important goals.

  • Accessible Counsel

    Prompt access to your lawyer from day one addressing your concerns and beyond.

  • Effective Advocacy

    Skilled representation across a wide spectrum of divorce and family law matters.

  • Respected Reputation

    Voted as a "Top Attorney" in Ft Worth Tx: The City's Magazine - by his peers.

  • Trial Experience

    Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1987.

Let's Get Started

How Can We Help?

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.